What Kind of Church is That? Part 2
A Worshipping Church
Acts 14:8-10 NIV 8 In Lystra there sat a man who was lame. He had been that way from birth and had never walked. 9 He listened to Paul as he was speaking. Paul looked directly at him, saw that he had faith to be healed 10 and called out, “Stand up on your feet!” At that, the man jumped up and began to walk.
1. Worship has always been INSTINCTUAL
Acts 14:11-13 NIV 11 When the crowd saw what Paul had done, they shouted in the Lycaonian language, “The gods have come down to us in human form!” 12 Barnabas they called Zeus, and Paul they called Hermes because he was the chief speaker. 13 The priest of Zeus, whose temple was just outside the city, brought bulls and wreaths to the city gates because he and the crowd wanted to offer sacrifices to them.
WHO or WHAT will you worship?
2. Worship will always need INSTRUCTION
Acts 14:14-15 NIV 14 But when the apostles Barnabas and Paul heard of this, they tore their clothes and rushed out into the crowd, shouting: 15 “Friends, why are you doing this? We too are only human, like you. We are bringing you good news, telling you to turn from these worthless things to the living God, who made the heavens and the earth and the sea and everything in them.
Psalms 22:3 NLT 3 Yet you are holy, enthroned on the praises of Israel.
1. Psalms 134:2 “Lift up your hands in the sanctuary and praise the LORD.”
2. 1 Timothy 2:8 I want men everywhere to lift up holy hands in prayer, without anger or disputing.
3. Psalms 47:1 Clap your hands, all you nations; shout to God with cries of joy.
4. Psalms 30:4 “Sing to the LORD, you saints of his; praise his holy name.”
5. Ephesians 5:19-20 “Sing and make music in your heart to the Lord,”
6. Psalms 149:3 “Let them praise his name with dancing and make music to him with tambourine and harp.”
3. Worship can always be INTERCEPTED
Acts 14:18-20 NIV 18 Even with these words, they had difficulty keeping the crowd from sacrificing to them. 19 Then some Jews came from Antioch and Iconium and won the crowd over. They stoned Paul and dragged him outside the city, thinking he was dead. 20 But after the disciples had gathered around him, he got up and went back into the city. The next day he and Barnabas left for Derbe.
When the music fades All is stripped away And I simply come Longing just to bring Something that’s of worth That will bless your heart I’ll bring you more than a song For a song in itself Is not what you have required You search much deeper within Through the way things appear You’re looking into my heart I’m coming back to the heart of worship And it’s all about you It’s all about you, Jesus I’m sorry, Lord, for the thing I’ve made it When it’s all about you It’s all about you, Jesus